Advisees have the responsibility to:
- Clarify personal interests, values, goals and abilities.
- Acquire knowledge of University policies, procedures and curricular requirements for your chosen program(s) of study. Read the Undergraduate Catalog and Student Guide to University Policies. Understand and use the UDSIS system to monitor your academic progress and register for classes.
- Meet with your advisor regularly (usually at least once per semester). Plan ahead for peak registration times. Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices during appointments.
- Read e-mail communications from all University offices, including the Lerner Advisement Office.
- Seek help from your advisor regarding your academic degree progress and ask questions if something is unclear.
- Actively prepare for advising sessions and bring relevant information and materials to advising sessions.
- Follow through on recommendations and referrals made during advising sessions.
- Understand that you are ultimately responsible for the academic choices and decisions you make.
Advisors have the responsibility to:
- Assist you with the development of educational goals consistent with your interests and abilities.
- Provide you with accurate information related to University policies, procedures and curricular requirements for the Lerner College’s majors and minors.
- Help you monitor your academic progress (via UDSIS, accurate degree requirement check sheets, regular appointments, sophomore degree audit checks, mid-term grade communications during freshman year, senior check outs, etc.).
- Interpret and explain academic policies, procedures and requirements to ensure you have the information necessary to make informed educational decisions.
- Assist with course selection. Explain the UDSIS registration process.
- Keep regular office hours for advising sessions and respond to your e-mails and phone calls in a timely fashion. Please allow at least 2 business days for a response to e-mails and phone calls; longer during peak registration times.
- Enhance your awareness of University resources and special academic opportunities; make referrals to other University support offices when appropriate.