Hen Hatch is the University of Delaware’s premier startup funding competition. It provides entrepreneurial students, alumni, faculty, and staff with the opportunity to make connections and collect feedback on their ideas while competing for startup cash and prizes totaling $50,000.
- Students (undergradute & graduate)
- Alumni, Faculty & Staff
- Participants submit a 3-5 page written business concept for evaluation by seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and business consultants.
- Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the best 10 business ideas to the student track and one of the 10 best business ideas to the alumni, faculty, & staff track present an investment pitch to a panel of seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and business consultants.
- Participants who are judged as having submitted one of the best 3 business ideas in each track present an investment pitch to a panel of seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and business consultants. The judging panel determines the allocation of prizes.
Rules & Written Business Concept Criteria
How to Apply & Submit Written Business Concept
- Gather team members & prepare your 3-5 page written business concept.
- Pick a team captain for your team. Your team captain must have an affiliation with UD either as a current student, UD alumnus/alumna, current or retired faculty member, or current or retired staff member. They will receive all communication on behalf of your team.
- When your written concept is ready and you have picked your team captain, visit the Hen Hatch 2015 Online Application Form using Pitchburner to register your team & upload your team's written concept. You'll be required to enter information for all of your team members including full names, email addresses, phone numbers, Student ID numbers (for current students) & all academic programs, as well as a short description of your business concept.
Week of November 17, 2014 | Hen Hatch 2015 Online Application Form using Pitchburner Opens
January 19, 2015 | Registration/submission deadline
February 20, 2015 | Notification of semi-finalists
March 13 & 20, 2015 | Semifinal presentations and selection of finalists in each track
April 28, 2015 | Final round presentations
ShopTutors, led by Nathaniel Matherson and Matt Lenhard
Udwell, led by Yael Bloom and Tali Cohen
Board to Death, led by Chris Melillo and Krista Adams
Alumni, Faculty and Staff Track
PenguinAds, led by Mac Nagaswami
Jaggery, led by Asmita and Anand Atre
Grasshopper Talent App, led by Liz Brenner, Nicole McCabe and Deb Stambaugh