The business community has long recognized the value of mentoring as a means of developing both its leaders and its future workforce. Business professionals who act as mentors and role models help students gain insights that allow these students to hone their skills in preparation for successful employment.
The Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics is leading the way in developing this unique educational resource through its Executive Mentors-Scholars Program. This initiative establishes mentor-student relationships in which the executive's professional background is complementary to the student's career objectives. Students apply during the spring semester. Undergraduates are eligible to apply during their sophomore year, begin their mentorships as juniors in the fall semester and conclude the experience at the end of their senior year. Graduates apply during the Spring semester as well.
Develop a one-on-one relationship with a public or private-sector business executive by meeting once or twice a semester for your junior and senior years. Gain insights on the relevance of academic studies to the business world and career objectives. Obtain an insider's view of a company and the industry in which it operates. Learn valuable networking skills.
Contact the mentor to establish the start of the experience. Work with your mentor to establish a schedule and develop an agenda with objectives for the academic year. Demonstrate professional, responsible behavior following through on scheduled meetings and in representing your College in a corporate environment. Use the Mentor Checklist as a guideline for activities.
Qualifications and Requirements
- You must be enrolled in the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics
- You must be a sophomore planning to graduate December 2016 or May 2017 OR a Graduate student planning to graduate May 2016.
- You must have a GPA of 3.00 or higher at the end of Winter Session 2015
- You must submit your application to the Lerner College Career Services Center (103 Lerner Hall – Drop off in Reception Area) by Friday, April 10, 2015.
- You must complete an interview with a member of the selection committee by the end of Spring 2015.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW OPEN FOR THE 2015-2017 YEAR.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Undergraduate students can contact Jill Gugino Panté at email@example.com, 831-3161, Lerner College Career Services Center.
Graduate students can contact Paul Rollison at firstname.lastname@example.org, 302-831-1072, Lerner College Career Services Center