Thursday, October 8, 2015
“The Government as Regulator and/or Shareholder – The Impact on Director Duties”
The Effect of Regulatory Mandates on Financial Institutions and Other Regulated Corporations in the Post Dodd-Frank Era
Gore Recital Hall, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Please join us for a timely thought leadership event featuring a distinguished panel of corporate governance, financial services and legal experts. Topics for discussion will include: the interplay between the board’s duties under corporate law and emerging expectations of regulators and other stakeholders; interaction between supervisors and boards; and the duties of directors of regulated institutions experiencing financial distress. The confirmed panelists and speakers include the following:
- Rolin P. Bissell, Partner, Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP
- Amy Borrus, Interim Executive Director, Council of Institutional Investors
- Laban P. Jackson, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Clear Creek Properties, Inc., and Director, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Peter A. Langerman, Chief Executive Officer, Franklin Mutual Advisers LLC
- Giovanni P. Prezioso, Partner, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- William R. Rhodes, President & CEO, William Rhodes Global Advisors, LLC; Senior Advisor, Citi; and Professor-at-Large, Brown University
- Edward B. Rock, Saul A. Fox Distinguished Professor of Business Law, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Gregg L. Rozansky, Managing Director, The Clearing House
- The Honorable Mary Schapiro, Advisory Board Vice Chair, Promontory Financial Group, LLC; and former Chairman, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- The Honorable Collins J. Seitz, Jr., Justice, Supreme Court of Delaware
- Michael M. Wiseman, Partner, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
Moderator: Charles M. Elson, Director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance; Edgar S. Woolard, Jr., Chair in Corporate Governance; and Professor of Finance, Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics, University of Delaware
To Register click HERE
UDaily Pre-Event Article
Wednesday, November 18 - Thursday, November 19, 2015
Third Annual Delaware Law Issues Update Conferernce
Hotel du Pont, Wilmington, DE
The Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals and the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware, in partnership with the State of Delaware and the ABA Business Law Section Corporate Governance Committee, are pleased to announce the third annual Delaware Law Issues Update Conference. The program will focus on Delaware corporate law and governance issues essential to corporate secretaries, in-house counsel, outside counsel and governance professionals who advise boards. It will cover recent developments and emerging issues in Delaware law and presenters will give best practice advice on how to avoid litigation or bad outcomes as well as focus on proactive steps that should be taken by those who regularly advise boards of directors. NEW THIS YEAR: This year’s program will include a proxy season update and practical advice on preparing for the 2016 proxy season, as well as a panel on legal ethics in corporate governance. In addition to substantive CLE credits, ethics CLE credits will also be available. The conference will feature seven current and former members of the Delaware Supreme Court and the Court of Chancery, so it is a great opportunity to hear directly from this outstanding judicial group. The conference will also feature plaintiffs’ and defense counsel, general counsel, corporate secretaries, investors and other board advisors. It will be held at the Hotel du Pont in Wilmington, Delaware, all day on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 and a half day on Thursday, November 19.
The conference will feature a luncheon Q&A with Chancellor Andre Bouchard, and an opening address by Vice Chancellor J. Travis Laster. There will be a networking cocktail reception sponsored by the State of Delaware and a dinner. The conference will also feature five panels:
- "Issues Relating to Recent Shareholder Activism"
- “M&A and Advising the Board”
- "Hot Issues in Corporate Governance & Preparing for the 2016 Proxy Season”
- "Legal Ethics Issues in Corporate Governance"
- "The Changing Delaware Landscape for Bylaws and Dispute Resolution”
For more information and a copy of the current Agenda, click HERE.
Come immerse yourself in a wonderful learning and networking experience. We hope to see you in November 2015 in Wilmington, Delaware!
Copy of the Save the Date
March 15, 2016
2016 Corporate Govenrance Symposium
University of Delaware, Newark, DE
The focus of the 2016 Corporate Governance Symposium will be “Governance Issues of Critical Importance to Boards and Institutional Investors in 2016.” The Symposium will being with a panel, followed by the presentation of four papers on topics that are of critical importance to boards and institutional investors today.