October 30, 2014
The John L. Weinberg Distinguished Speaker Series
We are fortunate to have F. William McNabb III, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment companies, as our John L. Weinberg Distinguished Series speaker for the Fall of 2014.
Panel on “Board Composition”
Large institutional investors have been increasingly focused on board composition in order to ensure a highly effective board. This panel will focus on various board composition matters, such as having the appropriate skill sets represented on the board, including the importance of independent director industry expertise, as well as numerous board refreshment techniques, including evaluations, tenure, and term limits. The following individuals will be participating on the panel:
- Julie H. Daum, Director of Spencer Stuart, and Co-Leader of the North American Board and CEO Practice, Spencer Stuart
- Michael Garland, Assistant Comptroller for Environmental, Social and Governance, New York City Office of the Comptroller
- The Honorable Randy J. Holland, Justice, Delaware Supreme Court
- Rakhi Kumar, Head of Corporate Governance, State Street Global Advisors
- Rochelle B. “Shelly” Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus and former Chief Executive Officer, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide; Independent Director of General Electric and Chair, Governance and Public Affairs Committee; Director of Blackstone Group, L.P.; Director of Merck & Co., Inc.
- Simon M. Lorne, Vice Chairman & Chief Legal Officer, Millennium Management LLC
- William E. McCracken, President, Executive Consulting Group LLC ; and former Chief Executive Officer, CA Technologies
- F. William McNabb III, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Vanguard
- Ann C. Mulé, Associate Director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance
- Thomas E. Sandell, Founder and Manager, Sandell Asset Management
Moderator: Charles M. Elson, Director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance, and the Edward S. Woolard, Jr., Chair in Corporate Governance and Professor of Finance
For a copy of the invitation, click HERE
For a copy of the DSS information, click HERE
To register, click HERE
Copy of UDaily Pre-Event article, click HERE
November 19 – 20, 2014
Second Annual Delaware Law Issues Update Conference
The Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals and the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware, in partnership with the State of Delaware, are pleased to announce the second annual Delaware Law Issues Update Conference. The program will focus on Delaware corporate law and governance issues essential to corporate secretaries, in-house counsel, outside counsel and governance professionals who advise boards. It will cover recent developments and emerging issues in Delaware law, and presenters will give best practice advice on how to avoid litigation or bad outcomes as well as focus on proactive steps that should be taken by those who regularly advise boards of directors. The conference will feature members of the Delaware Supreme Court and the Court of Chancery, as well as plaintiffs’ and defense counsel, corporate secretaries and investors. It will be held at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, all day on Wednesday, November 19, 2014 and a half day on Thursday, November 20.
Charles Elson, Director of the Weinberg Center and Edgar S. Woolard, Jr., Chair in Corporate Governance, stated that “the Society and the Center are particularly pleased that the conference will be again be co-chaired by: Anne Foster, Richards, Layton & Finger; Bill Lafferty, Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP; Rolin Bissell, Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP; David A. Katz, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz LLP; Kevin Shannon, Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP; and Jennifer Voss, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. Their guidance and focus on the most important Delaware law and associated governance issues will be crucial in selecting timely and relevant topics for the conference.”
The conference will consist of six panels on the following subject areas:
- SHAREHOLDER ACTIVISM
- FIDUCIARY DUTIES
- BOOKS & RECORDS DEMANDS
- M&A AND ADVISING THE BOARD.
- FEDERAL AND STATE JUDICIAL DEVELOPMENTS
- PRACTICAL TIPS
For a copy of the Agenda, please clck HERE.
Stephen Brown, CEO and President of the Society, stated, “This program provides a unique and highly educational opportunity for Society members and other attendees to learn not only the latest and most important developments in Delaware corporate law, but also the related and emerging governance issues. The conference also provides an opportunity to interact with prominent members of the Delaware bar and the Delaware judiciary. This conference should not be missed.”
Come back to college and immerse yourself in a wonderful learning and networking experience. We hope to see you on campus in November 2014!
To Register, click HERE
For more information, including hotel information, click HERE.
Delaware Law Issues Update 2014 Brochure
Lerner College Undergradaute and Graduate Student Scholarship Opportunity
March 17, 2015
Corporate Governance Symposium – “Governance Issues of Critical Importance to Institutional Investors in 2015.” More details to follow.
Call for Papers - deadline November 24, 2014
May 5, 2014
Program co-sponsored with the Center for Audit Quality. More details to follow.