Welcome to the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management! Come explore the world of hospitality business management through our two majors: Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management (HRIM) and Hospitality Industry Management (HSIM); a minor in Restaurant Management; and a Master of Science in Hospitality Business Management, where the possibilities are endless. Our faculty and staff are dedicated to student development and we have some of the best hospitality learning facilities in the world.
The Department of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management has an outstanding reputation for hospitality business education on campus and around the world. Our experience-driven learning and focus on industry business and analytics prepares our students to distinguish themselves as successful leaders and entrepreneurs in the industry and in their communities and beyond.
AREAS OF EMPHASIS AT DELAWARE
Consistently ranked as a top ten hospitality program, the Department of Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management (HRIM) prepares students for a career in the hospitality and service industries. The two Bachelor of Science degrees consist of curriculum founded in academic disciplines including business and specialized courses in theoretical and experience driven managerial components for the hospitality and service industries. Students gain a foundation in the traditional academic areas to complement state-of-the-art business and hospitality courses.
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT?
Top Hospitality Program! The University of Delaware's Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management Department is ranked in the top ten hospitality programs in the USA.
- We are Business! Graduates receive a degree from an AACSB accredited business college with the opportunity to take a 4+1 MBA PROGRAM that enables students to complete their undergraduate work and obtain a MBA in five years of study.
- Large Enough to Lead and Small Enough to Care! Faculty provide the personal attention students need for professional growth and development. Students connect with faculty as they are in small classes that are taught by industry experts who are well-respected academics in their field.
- World Class Faculty! All of our classes are taught by faculty with industry management experience and academic credentials. Four faculty are ranked in the top 20 hospitality faculty in the world. Faculty do research with students and put their research to work in the classroom.
- Go Global! Over 50% of our students go abroad as part of the curriculum. Study Abroad opportunities have many options: Semester in Switzerland at the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality or SIAF campus in Volterra, Italy along with a variety of programs for Winter session and Summer session courses around the globe. Students earn college credit and experience other cultures in places such as Australia, Barbados, Costa Rica and South Africa.
- Vita Nova Restaurant a student operated fine dining restaurant. HRIM majors take three courses in an experience driven learning environment where students operate and manage a gourmet restaurant for lunch and dinner.
- Marriott Learning Center where HRIM majors take courses and experience hotel management for one semester in the 126-room award winning Courtyard by Marriott, with high tech conference room and teaching facility. Students gain valuable experience in sales, marketing, revenue management, front office and housekeeping.
- Experience that works! An integral part of both the HRIM and HSIM curriculum is the 700 hours hospitality-related work experience and 100 hours of community service. These combined experiences assist in the development of a career plan that meets industry needs and prepares students for the increasingly complex and challenging hospitality industry.
- We bring the industry to the student and the student to the industry! Hospitality industry executives speak in our classrooms on a regular basis and are part of our speaker series, alumni back in the classroom program and Hospitality Industry Career Fair. Through our student clubs, students attend major industry conferences and our HRIM “Lerner” to Leader Program visits industry corporate headquarters meeting executives and visiting the C-Suites.
A variety of student clubs enable students to attend national industry conferences, network with leaders and managers in the hospitality field and plan events and conferences for the university, industry and community.
The Alfred Lerner College of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Services, the HRIM and HSIM faculty advisors and the Career Services Center serves the undergraduate student body by providing information and support for the students’ academic, professional and career development to foster their successful matriculation, graduation and placement.
Please let us know when you plan to visit (email@example.com). We look forward to seeing you on campus. Wishing you the best!
Sheryl Fried Kline, Ph.D.
Contact us at: