- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Curriculum - HIS
FOR MAJORS IN HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY STUDIES
(NOTE: All requirements except free electives must be taken for a letter grade. Pass/Fail status courses may only count in free electives.)
- ENGL 110 Critical Reading & Writing with a minimum grade of C- (3 credits).
- 3 credits of a Multicultural Course.
- Discovery Learning Experience (fulfilled by HRIM 495 Hospitality Feasibility Studies).
- First-Year Experience (May be satisfied by BUAD 110, UNIV 100, UNIV 101, or HESC 135 if recommended for athletes).
- University Breadth Requirements (12 credits with a minimum grade of C-):
All students at the University of Delaware are required to take a minimum of 12 credits of University breadth requirements—3 credits each from courses designated as Creative Arts and Humanities, History and Cultural Change, Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Technology. Students must pass these courses with a grade of C- or better. Note that students must take breadth courses from four different subject areas (e.g. the four- letter subject code ACCT, HIST, etc.). Students may not use a course that is cross-listed with a subject area that has already been used to satisfy a university breadth requirement. Students enrolled in a single major may not satisfy the breadth requirement with courses in the subject area of that major (e.g. chemistry majors may not use CHEM courses). Students who are enrolled in more than one major or degree are allowed to meet the University breadth requirement by taking approved breadth courses from within the subject areas of their majors. The requirement may be fulfilled through a course or courses taken to complete other degree requirements, subject to the limitations above; however, credit hours may be counted only once towards the 120-credit hour minimum required for the degree. See the undergraduate catalog at http://academiccatalog.udel.edu for the list of course options.
9-10 credits of Humanities
- Foreign Language Elective – choose from Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish or Latin (any level) (3-4 credits)
- ENGL 312 Written Communications in Business (3 credits)
- Executive Presentations, HRIM 230 or Oral Communication in Business, COMM 212
15-16 credits of Sciences and Mathematics
- MATH 221 Calculus I or MATH 241 Analytic Geometry and Calculus A (3-4 credits)
- MATH 201 Statistics I and MATH 202 Statistics II (6 credits)
- 6 credits from the Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Technology University breadth requirements excluding MATH 201, 202, 221, 241 and STAT 200.
6 credits of Social Sciences
- PSYC 100 General Psychology (3 credits)
- Sociology course (SOCI) chosen from the University Breadth Requirement List for Social and Behavioral Sciences (3 credits)
- Note that a C- is required in either BUAD 301, BUAD 309, ECON 151, ECON 152, PSYC 100, or the SOCI course to also fulfill the Social and Behavioral Sciences University Breadth Requirement
27 credits of Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance and MIS (minimum grades of C-)
- ACCT 207 Accounting I (3 credits)
- ACCT 208 Accounting II (3 credits)
- ECON 151 Introduction to Microeconomics (3 credits)
- ECON 152 Introduction to Macroeconomics (3 credits)
- BUAD 306 Operations Management (3 credits)
- BUAD 309 Mgt. & Org. Behavior (3 credits)
- BUAD 424 Ethics in the Workplace (3 credits)
- FINC 311 Principles of Finance (FINC 311)
- MISY 160 Business Computing: Tools and Concepts (3 credits)
33 credits of Required HRIM Courses(minimum grades of C-).
- HRIM 180 Introduction to Hospitality (3 credits)
- HRIM 187 Introduction to Hospitality Information Systems
- HRIM 214 Issues in Tourism Management (3 credits)
- HRIM 215 Meeting and Conference Management (3 credits)
- HRIM 314 Hospitality Entrepreneurship & Venture Creation (3 credits)
- HRIM 380 Management of Lodging Operations (3 credits)
- HRIM 381 Management of Food and Beverage Operations (3 credits)
- HRIM 480 Human Resources Management in the Hospitality Industry (3 credits)
- HRIM 481 Marketing in the Hospitality Industry (3 credits)
- HRIM 482 Law of Innkeeping (3 credits)
- HRIM 495 Hospitality Feasibility Studies (3 credits)
Hospitality-Related Work Experience and Community Service Requirements
- 700 hours of documented work-related experience is required.
- 100 hours of documented community service is required.
Optional Areas of Focus
Students may choose an area of focus from among the following (C- minimum grade required in all focus courses):
Transaction Advisory Services
- FINC 312 Intermediate Financial Management
- FINC 314 Investments
- FINC 417 Real Estate Finance
- FINC 467 Real Estate Development and Investment
Hospitality Sales and Marketing
- HRIM346 Web Based Marketing
- BUAD301 Introduction to Marketing
- BUAD 470 Sales Management and Selling
- BUAD 473 Buyer Behavior
Hospitality Information Management
- HRIM 140 Information Technology and Services Management
- HRIM 450 Managing Hospitality Information Systems
- MISY 261 Business Information Systems
- MISY300 Business Value of IT
- MISY 330 Database Design and Implementation
In addition, sufficient elective credits must be taken to meet the minimum credits required for the degree with the following restrictions:
1) Only two credits of HESC/BHAN 120 may be counted toward the degree.
2) Only four credits of Music ensemble may be counted toward the degree.
3) Only four credits of 100-and 200-level AFSC/MLSC courses may be counted toward the degree
University Course Catalog:
Suggested Sequence of Study: