|Department:||Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management|
Courtyard Newark at UD
Newark, DE 19716
Bill Sullivan, CHTP joined the department of HRIM as an adjunct instructor in 1990. In 2004 Bill was hired by Shaner Hotel Group as the Managing Director of the Courtyard Newark at the University of Delaware. He is a 1974 graduate of the University of Delaware, with a B.S. in Business Administration/Operations Management.
Bill recently retired from the DuPont Company in Wilmington, Delaware after 31 years of service, and has spent considerable portions of his career in DuPont's hospitality and real estate operations. Bill was the Director of Hospitality for DuPont Hospitality, with management responsibility for the Hotel du Pont, the DuPont County Club and the Playhouse Theater.
Bill is extremely active in the hospitality industry as member of the Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals and is a Certified Hospitality Technology Professional (CHTP). Bill has been active in that groups annual industry technology show, HITEC since 1990, and has served on the HITEC Advisory Board since that time. That Board is responsible for the educational content of the show. Bill has also been a speaker at that conference in every year from 1990 - 2007. Bill has also presented to the AH&LA Convention, the HFTP Controllers Conference, the HFTP Annual Convention, the State of Pennsylvania Tourism Board, the State of Ohio Restaurant Association, the Preferred Hotels Annual Membership Meeting, the State of Delaware Hotel Motel Association, and several other industry trade shows.
Bill is on the Board the Delaware Hotel & Lodging Association, and is current Chairman of the Board of the Delaware Tourism Alliance, as well as the Vice Chair of the Board of the Greater Wilmington Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Kline, S. F. & Sullivan, W. (2002). Hotel front office simulation. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons.
- Bill has been published in numerous hospitality industry publications, including, Lodging Magazine of AH&LA, The Bottomline of HFTP, Lodging Hospitality, Hotel Restaurant News, Club Management Magazine,, and several other trade publications.
Awards & Honors
- Awarded the “HFTP Technology Award of Merit” in 2003 by the Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals, HFTP his expertise in hospitality systems design and operations.
- Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics, University of Delaware - “Alumni Award of Excellence - 2010”
- Delaware Tourism Office - “Tourism Leader of the Year - 2011”
- Delaware Tourism Office - “Marketing Campaign Award - 2007”
- Downtown Newark Partnership “Volunteer of the Year - 2012”
- UD Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Management - “Renaissance Award - 2009”
- Newark Morning Rotary Club “Rotarian of the Year – 2013”
Bill teaches the “HRIM Lodging Module Practicum HRIM 488” that is integrated into the hotel’s operation to provide students with hands on hotel operations and sales experience. The Courtyard Newark is a fully operational Marriott franchise hotel and has enjoyed financial and operational success since opening in November 2004.
Bill has taught courses in hospitality technology, hotel management, facilities operations, introduction to business and the hospitality financial management course. Bill recognized in 2003 by the Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals, HFTP his expertise in hospitality systems design and operations.
Bill also teaches in the Hospitality Program at Widener University in Chester, PA.