Associate Director, Center for Economic Education and Entrepreneurship,
Assistant Professor of Economics
342 Purnell Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Meszaros holds an undergraduate degree from Ohio Wesleyan University and a masters and PhD from the University of Delaware. She teaches classes for in-service and pre-service teachers in economics and how to teach it in grades K-12. In her work at the Center, Bonnie offers economic education programs that emphasize standards-based instruction, higher-order thinking skills and integration of economics and entrepreneurship across the curriculum. She served as project director and as a member of the writing team for the development of Voluntary National Content Standards in Economics and was one of the coauthors of National Standards for Financial Literacy. She is a past president of the National Association of Economic Educators and was a recipient of the Bessie B. Moore Service Award and the Patty Elder International Award. Bonnie has co-authored numerous economic education materials including, Wide World of Trade, Focus: Economics Systems, High School Economics, Focus; Globalization, Economics: Grades 3-5 and a series of Economics and Children’s Literature packages. She has published in The Journal of Economic Education, Social Studies and the Young Learner, Social Education, AEA Papers and Proceedings, and Theory and Research in Social Education.
- B.A., Ohio Wesleyan University, 1967
- M.Ed., University of Delaware, Education, 1980
- Ph.D., Education, University of Delaware, 1986
- Curriculum Vitae
- Focus: Globalization (with Sandra Odorzynski, Phil Van Fossen, William Boshardt), 2006, National Council on Economic Education, 2006.
- Economics: From Here to There, Editor (with Mary Suiter), National Council on Economic Education, 2006.
- “Teaching about Saving and Investing in the Elementary and Middle School Grades,” (with Mary Suiter), Social Education,69:2 (March 2005), 92-95.
- Focus: High School Economics, 2nd edition, (with Sarapage McCorkle, Mark Schug, Michael Watts), National Council on Economic Education, 2001.
- “The Voluntary National Content Standards in Economics: From Standards to Classroom Implementation,” (with Laurie Engstrom) Social Studies & The Young Learner, 11:2 (November/December 1998), pp. 7-12.
- "Voluntary Economics Content Standards for America’s Schools: Rationale and Development," (with John Siegfried), The Journal of Economic Education, 29:2 (Spring 1998), pp.139-149.
- “What Should High School Graduates Know in Economics,” (with John Siegfried), American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 87:2 (1997), pp. 247-253.
Awards & Honors
- Leon and Margaret Slocomb Professional Excellence Award
- Bessie B. Moore Service Award, National Council on Economic Education
- Harry J. Carman Award for Outstanding Achievement and Professional Excellence in Social Studies
- William Forbes Award for Excellence in Economic Education
- Education Alumni Association Commitment of Education Award
- DuPont Company’s Environmental Respect Award
- President, National Association of Economic Educators
- Board of Directors, Delaware Financial Literacy Institute
- Women for Financial Independence Advisory Group
- Delaware State Testing Program, Item Writing and Content Review Committees
- Honor Society, Phi Delta Kappa
- Co-Director and Faculty, National Council on Economic Education’s International Training of Writers Program
- Economics for Educators
- Civics and Economics for Teachers