Dana J. Johnson Professor of Information Technology
215 Alfred Lerner Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Erwin Saniga is the Dana Johnson Professor of Information Technology and Professor of Operations Management in the Department of Business Administration at the University of Delaware. Professor Saniga has published over 50 papers in statistics or mathematical modeling in business, statistics, engineering or medical journals. A recent paper in IIE Transactions won the best paper award for 2008 in the area of Quality and Reliability Engineering.
Professor Saniga has also presented a number of papers at Conferences of The American Statistical Association, The Institute for Management Sciences and The Operations Research Society, The American Accounting Association, The Western Finance Association, The Decision Sciences Institute, The Irish Mathematical Society World Congress on Computation and Applied Mathematics, and various university seminar series including those at Drexel University, Hollins College, George Washington University, Indiana University, Penn State , and the Jerusalem Studio School. He has been an invitee for the triennial International Workshop on Intelligent Statistical Quality Control since 1980.
He has consulted for many organizations in the areas of statistics, process improvement, technology, and operations management and has won awards for teaching and research at the University of Delaware.
His recent teaching has been on Technology Project Management where teams of students actually design and implement information technology solutions or process improvement solutions for local organizations.
BS Industrial Engineering, Penn State, 1969
MBA, Penn State, 1971
PhD, Management Science with mathematical statistics supporting, Penn State, 1975
1. 5,195,172 : System and method for representing and solving numeric and symbolic problems March 16, 1993 (with Quantum Development Corporation)
2. 5,428,712 : System and method for representing and solving numeric and symbolic problems June 27, 1995 (with Quantum Development Corporation)
1."Extending the Applicability of Probabilistic Management Planning and Control Models: A Comment", The Accounting Review, (Jack Hayya, William Ferrara, E. Saniga), Volume L, October 1975, pp. 826‑831.
2."KRWAL: A Program to Obtain Exact Critical Values and Exact Probability Levels for the Kruskal‑Wallis Statistic", Journal of Marketing Research, (W. V. Gehrlein and E. Saniga), November 1976, pp. 407‑408.
3."Quality Control in Practice: A Survey", Quality Progress, (E. Saniga and L. Shirland), Vol. X, No. 5, May 1977, pp. 30‑33.
4."Simple Goodness‑of‑Fit Tests for Symmetric Stable Distributions", Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, (E. Saniga and J. Hayya), Vol. XII, No. 2, June 1977, pp. 276‑289.
5."Joint Economically Optimal Design of X and R Control Charts", Management Science, Vol. 24, No. 4, December 1977, pp. 420‑431.
6."Some Exact Critical Values for the Kruskal‑Wallis Statistic", Journal of Quality Technology, (W. V. Gehrlein and E. Saniga), Vol. 10, No. 2, April 1978, pp. 73‑75.
7."On the Appropriate Size of Samples in X2 Tests: A Reply to Kottas and Lau", The Accounting Review, (J. Hayya , W. Ferrara, E. Saniga), Vol. LIII, No. 7, January 1978, pp. 252‑259.
8."The Effects of Sample Size and Correlation on the Accuracy of the EV Efficiency Criterion", Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, (E. Saniga, N. Gressis and J. Hayya), Vol. XIV, No. 3, September 1979, pp. 615‑628.
9."Power of Some Standard Goodness‑of‑Fit Tests of Normality Against Asymmetric Stable Alternatives" Journal of the American Statistical Association, (E. Saniga and J. Miles), Vol. 74, No. 368, December 1979, pp. 861‑865.
10."Joint Economic Design of X/R Control Charts with Alternate Process Models", A.I.I.E. Transactions, Vol. 11, No. 3, September 1979, pp. 254‑260.
11."Some Optimal Policies for Management of Wildlife", Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, (W. V. Gehrlein and E. Saniga), Vol. 5, 1980, pp. 123‑126.
12."Operating Characteristics of X/R Charts Under Non‑normal Assignable Cause Distributions", Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Lenz, Wetherill, Wilrich (eds.), Physica‑Verlag, publishers, (E. Saniga and T. Antoniuk), (1) 1980, pp. 242‑255.
13."The Effect of Differencing Interval Length on Beta", Journal of Financial Research, (T. McInish E. Saniga and B. Gouldey), Vol. IV, No. 2, Summer 1981, pp. 129‑135.
14."Planning Art Museum Exhibitions", Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, (Linda Spear and E. Saniga), Vol. 6, No. 3, 1981, pp. 127‑131.
15."Bayesian Tests for Matched Proportions", Communications in Statistics, (J. K. Ord , E. Saniga , W. V. Gehrlein), Vol. 18, No. A10, 1981, pp. 1885‑1899.
16."Economical Quality Control Policies for a Single Cause System", AIIE Transactions, (E. Saniga and D. Montgomery), Vol. 13, No. 3, 1981, pp. 258‑264.
17."Uncertainty in Price Indices", RAIRO‑Operations Research, ( J. Hayya E. Saniga and R. Schaul), Vol. 16, No. 1, February 1982, pp. 33‑43.
18."Isodynes for X and R Control charts" Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Lenz, Wetherill, Wilrich (eds.), Physica‑Verlag, publishers, (2) pp. 268‑273, 1984.
19."Portfolio Selection to Achieve a Target Beta", RAIRO‑Operations Research (T. McInish ,E. Saniga and J. Morse) Vol. 18, No. 2, 1984, pp. 131‑145.
20."Heuristic Economic Design for X and R Control Charts," Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Lenz, Wetherill, Wilrich/eds., Physica‑Verlag, pp. 91‑108, 1986.
21."Strategic Quality Control," Economic Quality Control, (E. Saniga and V. Prybutok), Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 4-10, 1987.
22."A Note on the Distribution Types of Financial Ratios in the Commercial Banking Industry", Journal of Banking and Finance, (J. Kolari, T. McInish and E. Saniga) Vol., 13, pp. 463-471, 1989 .
23."Economic Statistical Control Chart Designs With an Application to X and R Charts", Technometrics, Vol. 31, No.3, pp. 313-320, 1989.
24."Sampling Strategies for Competing Quality Objectives", Production and Inventory Management, (M. Atkinson, V. Prybutok and E. Saniga), Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 49-53, 1990.
25. "Distribution Forms of Financial Accounting Ratios: Pearson's and Johnson's Taxonomies", (D. Buckmaster and E. Saniga), Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 149-166, 1990.
26."Joint Statistical Design of and R control Charts", Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 156-162, 1991
27."Robustness and Flexibility of Constrained Economic Designs", published in Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Lenz,Wetherill, Wilrich, eds., Vol.4, 1992, pp. 191-200.
28. "Decision Support and Statistical Quality Control", International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Volume 10, No.2, 1993, pp. 9-17.
29."Economic Adjustment Designs for X bar Charts", IIE Transactions, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 37-43 (E. von Collani, E. Saniga, C. Weigand), 1994.
30. "Measuring Lobbying Influence Using the Financial Accounting Standards Board Public Record", Vol. 20, No.4, Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, (D.Buckmaster, E.Saniga, S.Tadesse) pp. 331-356, 1994.
31.“Assessing the Variability in Transvaginal Ultrsound Measurement of the Endometrium”, Abstracts of the American Fertility Society, p. 250 American Fertility Society, (K.Durinizi,L.Louie, E. Chavez, R. Thlick, P. Mazahery, E.Saniga) 1994
32.“Economic, Statistical and Economic Statistical Design of Attribute Control Charts", Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 27, no.1, pp. 56-73 (E. Saniga, D. Davis, T. McWilliams), 1995.
33.“The Relationship Between Size and maturation in vitro in the unstimulated human oocyte”, Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 63 No. 2, pp. 404-406, (K. Durinzi, E.Saniga, S. Lanzendorf) 1995.
34.“Economic Modeling for Statistical Process Control”, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 29, No.2, April 1997, pp.144-147, (J.Keats, E.D. Castillo, E.v. Collani, E. Saniga).
35.“A Discussion on Statistically Based Monitoring and Control”, Vol. 29, No. 2, p. 151-152 , Journal of Quality Technology, April 1997.
36.“Follicle Stimulating Hormone Effects on Immature Human Oocytes: In Vitro Maturation and Hormone Production”, Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1997 ( K. Durinzi, A. Wentz, E.Saniga, D Johnson, S. Lazendorf)
37.“A Discussion of Optimization Techniques in Statistical Process Control”, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp 18-19, January 2000.
38.“Economic, Statistical and Economic Statistical Design of X-bar and R Charts and X-bar and s charts, April 2001, Journal of Quality Technology, T McWilliams, E. Saniga and D. Davis, pp. 234-241.
39. “The Management of SPC”, Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Lenz , Wilrich, eds., Vol 6, 2001, pp 247-259, E. Saniga and M. Pohlen
40. “On the Design of Single Sample Acceptance Sampling Plans, Vol 16, 2002, Economic Quality Control, pp. 193-198 ,T McWilliams, E. Saniga, D. Davis
41.“Statistical Design of Attribute Charts for Monitoring and Continuous Improvement When Count Levels are Small”, Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, (E. Saniga, D. Davis and J. Lucas) Vol. 7, 2003 , Physica Verlag Pubs.,H-T Lenz and P-T Wilrich eds. , pp. 119-130
42.“Economic Control Chart Policies for Monitoring Variables”, Int.J. Productivityand Quality Management, Vol.1, No.1, 2006, E. Saniga, T. McWilliams,D.Davis and J. Lucas, pp. 116-138
43.“ Economic advantages of CUSUM Control Charts for Variables, Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, Vol. 8, H-J Lenz and P-T Wilrich, eds.Physica Verlag pubs, 2006 , Erwin Saniga, Thomas McWilliams, Darwin Davis and James Lucas
44. “ Detecting Improvement with Shewhart Attribute Control Charts When the Lower Control Limit is Zero”, J. Lucas, D. Davis and E. Saniga, IIETransactions., Vol 38, 2006, pp. 659-669 ( 2008 Best Paper award IIE Transactions: Quality and Reliability Engineering)
45.“Using Shewhart and CUSUM Charts for Diagnosis with Count Data in a Vendor Certification Study” E. Saniga, D. Davis and J. Lucas, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 41,no.3, 2009,pp.217-227.
46. “Economic and Economic Statistical Design of T2 Control Chart with Two-adaptive Sample Sizes”, Alireza Faraz, R.B. Kazemzadeh ,Erwin Saniga , Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation. .Vol. 80,No. 12, pp. 1299-1316
47. “A Unification and Some Corrections to Markov Chain Approaches to Develop Variable Ratio Sampling Scheme Control Charts”,Alireza Faraz and Erwin Saniga, Statistical Papers. Volume 52, Number 4, 799-811,DOI: 10.1007/s00362-009-0288-7
48.“ Economic Statistical Design of a T2 Control Chart with Double Warning Lines, Alireza Faraz and Erwin Saniga,, Quality and Reliability Engineering International. 27(2)(2011) 125-139. DOI: 10.1002/qre.1095.
49. “The Optimal Design of the VSI T2 Control Chart” Faraz, A. R. ,Kazemzadeh, R. B. Heuchenne, C. , and E. Saniga, Journal of the Iranian Statistical Society, Vol. 9, No.1, pp 1-19
50. "A modified economic-statistical design of the T2 control chart with variable sample sizes and control limits,” (2011). Asghar Seif, Alireza Faraz, Cedric Heuchenne, Erwin Saniga, and M.B. Moghadam, 38(2011) 2459-2469. DOI:10.1080/02664763.2011.559 205. Journal of Applied Statistics
51. “Optimal T2 control chart with a double sampling scheme - an alternative to the MEWMA chart” (2012). Alireza Faraz, C. Heuchenne, and Erwin Saniga (November 2012), DOI: 10.1002/qre.1268.Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Volume 28, Issue 7, pages 751–760,
52. ”Economic Control Chart Policies for Monitoring Variables when there are Two Components of Variance” (2012) Erwin Saniga, James Lucas , Darwin Davis, Thomas McWilliams, Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control, eds. Lenz, Wilrich and Schmid, Volume 10, pp. 85-95
53. "Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm Approach to the Economic Statistical Design of Control Charts with an Application to X¯bar and S2 Charts", (2013) Alireza Faraz and Erwin Saniga, Quality and Reliability Engineering International., Vol 29:3 DOI : 10.1002/qre.1390, pp. 407-415
54. "Monitoring Delivery Chains using Multivariate Control Charts" (2013). Alireza Faraz, Cedric Heuchenne, Erwin Saniga Earnest Foster, European Journal of Operations Research, Vol 228, Issue I, pp. 282-289
55. Double Objective Economic Statistical Design of the VP T2 Control Chart: Wald’s identity approach, (2014) Alireza Faraz, Cedric Heuchenne, Erwin Saniga and Antonio F.B. Costa, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol. 84, 10, pp 2123-2137
56. "Control Charts Monitoring Product's Loss to Society, (2014). G. Celano, A. Faraz, E. Saniga, Quality Reliability Engineering International, DOI: 10.1002/qre.1562, Vol. 30, 8, pp 1393-1407
57. "A Statistically Adaptaive Sampling Policy to the Hotelling's T2 Control Chart: Markov Chain Approach." Alireza Faraz, Erwin Saniga and Cedric Heuchenne, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, DOI:10:1080/03610926.2104.911910
58."Shewhart Control Charts for Monitoring Reliability with Weibull Lifetimes, Alireza Faraz, Wrwin Saniga and Cedric Heuchenne, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, forthcoming, DOI: 10,1002/qre.1692
Awards & Honors
Distinguished Senior Faculty Research Award at the University of Delaware, Department of Business Administration.
Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award at the College of Business and Economics, University of Delaware.
Mortar Board Outstanding Professor Award of Distinction