- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Kent D. Messer
|Associate Professor of Food and Resource Economics
Associate Professor Economics
226 Townsend Hall
messerudel [dot] edu (Contact Information)
- Ph.D., Resources Economics, Cornell University 2004
- Operations Research
- Experimental Economics
- Resource Economics
- Messer, K.D., H.M. Kaiser, C. Payne, and B. Wansink. “Measuring the Impact of Media Information about Mad Cow Disease on Consumers’ Willingness-to-Pay and Risk Attitudes,” Applied Economics, forthcoming.
- Messer, K.D., G.L. Poe, D. Rondeau, W.D. Schulze and C. Vossler. “Exploring Voting Anomalies Using a Demand Revealing Random Price Voting Mechanism.”Journal of Public Economics, 94(3-4): 308-317
- Messer, K.D. and W. Allen. 2010. “Applying Optimization and the Analytic Hierarchy Process to Enhance Agricultural Preservation Strategies in the State of Delaware.” Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 39(2).
- Payne, C., K.D. Messer, and H.M. Kaiser. 2009. “Which Consumers Are Most Responsive to Media Induced Food Scares?” Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
- Kanter C., K.D. Messer and H.M. Kaiser. 2009. “Does Production Labeling Stigmatize Conventional Milk” American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 91(4):1097-1109.
- Messer, K.D., H.M. Kaiser and W.D. Schulze. 2008. “The Problem of Free Riding in Voluntary Generic Advertising: Parallelism and Possible Solutions from the Lab” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 90(2): 540–552. (Research featured in NY Times article by Hal Varian 6/1/2006.)
- Doyon, M., V. Simard, K.D. Messer, L.D. Tamini, and H.M. Kaiser. 2008. “An Experimental Analysis of Modifications to the Centralized Milk Quota Exchange System in Quebec.” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 56(1): 295-312. (Received the Outstanding Journal Article Award for 2008 by the Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.)
- Messer, K.D., H. Zarghamee, H.M. Kaiser and W.D. Schulze. 2007. “New Hope for the Voluntary Contribution Mechanism: The Effects of Framing and Context.” Journal of Public Economics 91(9):1783-1799.
- Messer, K.D., H.M. Kaiser, and G.L. Poe. 2007. “Voluntary Funding for Generic Advertising Using a Provision Point Mechanism: An Experimental Analysis of Option Assurance.” Review of Agricultural Economics 29(3):612-631
- Messer, K.D. 2007. “Transferable Development Rights Programs: An Economic Framework for Success.” Journal of Conservation Planning 3:47-53.
- Messer, K.D., W.D. Schulze, K.F. Hackett, T. Cameron, and G. McClelland. 2006. “Can Stigma Explain Large Property Value Losses? The Psychology and Economics of Superfund.” Environmental and Resource Economics 33(3): 299-324.
- Messer, K.D. 2006. “The Conservation Benefits of Cost-Effective Land Acquisition: A Case Study in Maryland.” Journal of Environmental Management 79:305-315.
- Messer, K.D., T.M. Schmit and H.M. Kaiser. 2005. “Optimal Institution Designs for Generic Advertising: An Experimental Analysis.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 87(4): 1046-1060.