- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
M. Andrew Fields
|Associate Professor of Finance
E-mail: fieldsaudel [dot] edu
- Ph.D. - Virginia Tech, Major: Business Administration, Finance, Minors: Accounting and Management Science, 1982
- Master of Accountancy - Virginia Tech, 1980
- MBA - Virginia Tech, 1977
- BS - James Madison University, Major: Business Administration, Minors: Journalism and Political Science
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Management
- Analysis of Financial Information
- Capital Investment and Financing Decisions
- Financial Theory
- Financial Institutions
- Financial Management
- Corporate Financial Analysis
Honors and Activities:
- Who’s Who among Students in AmericanUniversities and Colleges, JamesMadisonUniversity, 1974-75.
- Pi Gamma Mu. National Social Sciences Honorary Society, JamesMadisonUniversity, 1975.
- James Madison Leadership Society, Honors Society, JamesMadisonUniversity, 1975.
- Beta Alpha Psi, National Accounting Honorary Society, Virginia Tech, 1978.
- Doctoral Student Teaching Excellence Award, Virginia Tech, 1980-81.
- Financial Management Association Doctoral Student Seminar Participant, 1980.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honorary Society, Virginia Tech, 1981.
- Certificate in Management Accounting, 1984
- Who's Who - in the East and in Emerging Leaders, 1988-93.
- Certificate in Financial Planning Program Faculty Coordinator
- Ad hoc Committee on a joint EFA/SFA meeting
- Chairman Board of Trustees - Eastern Finance Association 2005-2007
- President - Eastern Finance Association 2004-2005
- President (elect) - Eastern Finance Association 2003-2004
- Vice President - 2002 Program Eastern Finance Association
- Nominations Committee – 2002 Southern Finance Association, 2005, 2006 Eastern Finance Association
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Southern Finance Association, 1995-1997.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Mid-Atlantic Journal of Business, 1988-2001.
- CRSP Database Administrator, 1987-2002.
Financial Management Association, National Honor Society, University of Delaware, 1987.
- "Financial Distress, Liquidity Policy, and Financial Policy: A Comparison of Korea and the United States" (with H.Y. Lee), Journal of Finance and Banking, 2, 2003 pp. 159-177.
- "The Impact of Interstate Banking Legislation on Target and Buyer Bank Stock Returns" (with H. A. Black and R. Schweitzer), Managerial Finance, Vol. 22:7,1996, pp. 24-42.
- "Finance and the Regulatory Environment, - An Introduction," Managerial Finance, 1996.
- "Firm Size, Antitakeover Charter Amendments, and the Effect of State Antitakeover Legislation" (with J.M. Todd), Managerial Finance, Vol 21:5,1995, pp. 35-51.
- "Corporate Finance and the Legal Environment, - An Introduction," Managerial Finance, 1995.
- "Capital Budgeting and the Learning Curve Phenomenon," In Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty. Advances and New Perspectives, ed. R. Aggrawal, 1993.
- "Prediction of Acquisition Candidates: Methodological Comparisons," Mid-Atlantic Journal of Business (with R. Clayton), Vol. 27:3, December 1991, pp. 233-250. With R. Clayton.
- "Portfolio Selection and An Optimal Cutoff Probability in Predicting Acquisition Targets," Advances in Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management, Vol. 1, 1991, pp. 279-293
- "Effect of the Learning Curve on the Capital Budgeting Process," Managerial Finance, Vol. 17:2-3, March 1991, pp. 28-41..
- "Changes in Interstate Banking Laws: The Impact on Shareholder Wealth (with H. Black & R. Schweitzer)," Journal of Finance, Vol. 45:5, December 1990, pp. 1663-1672.
- "The Wealth Effects of Corporate Lawsuits: Pennzoil v. Texaco," Journal of Business Research,Vol. 21:2, September 1990, pp. 143-158.
- "Discriminant Analysis and the Prediction of Acquisition Targets," Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 13:2, Summer 1990, pp. 85-94.
- "Should Dividend Discount Models be Yield Tilted? Comment," Journal of Portfolio Management, Vol. 15:2. Winter 1989, pp. 80-83.
- "On Allocating the Variance of Output Growth to Permanent and Cyclical Components" (with T. Hall & W. Fields), Economics Letters, Vol. 30:4, October 1989, pp. 323-326.
- "The Effect of Chernobyl on Electric Utility Stock Prices" (with V. Janjigian), Journal of Business Research, Vol. 18:1, January 1989, pp. 81-87.
- "The Merger Profile and Size Effect Anomalies: An Empirical Examination of Their Relationship" (with A. Keown), Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 27:1, Winter 1988, pp. 70-82.
- "An Empirical Investigation of Merger Premiums," Managerial Finance, Vol. 14:4, 1988, pp. 19-23. With I. Chew & K. Johnson