- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Dr. Patrick T. Harker
Professor of Business Administration
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. - University of Pennsylvania, Major: Civil and Urban Engineering (Transportation Planning and Economics), 1983
- M.A. - University of Pennsylvania, Major: Economics, 1983
- M.S.E. - University of Pennsylvania, Major: Civil Engineering, 1981
- B.S.E. - University of Pennsylvania, Major: Civil Engineering, 1981
- Service operations management and economics
- Financial services operations and technology
- Nonprofit management
- Operations Research methodology: mathematical programming
Honors and Activities:
- Member, Board of Directors, National Leadership Roundtable on Church Management, 2005-Present
- Member, Diocesan Finance Council, Diocese of Camden, NJ, 2001-2006
- Editor-in-Chief, Operations Research, 1996-1999
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Studies in the Service Economy
- Member of the Advisor Board, Operations Research, 2005-present
- Member of the American Economic Association, IEEE - Senior Member, International Federation of Operations Research/ Management Science (INFORMS)-full member, Mathematical Programming Society, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Ivy Football Association honoree, January 2007
- Omega Rho Distinguished Lecturer, INFORMS, November 2006
- Named ISI Highly Cited Researcher (Mathematics), October 2004
- 2002 Alan Goldman Lecturer. Department of Mathematical Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University
- 2002 Wei Lun Distinguished Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 1998 David W. Hauck Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Undergraduate Division, the Wharton School
- Laurent Picard Distinguished Lecturer, McGill University, Montreal Canada, 1998.
- CORE Lecturer, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 1993
- 1992 Miller-Sherrerd MBA Core Teaching Award, The Wharton School
- Named by President Bush as a White House Fellow 1991-92
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award 1986-1991
- Second Place, Leslie Fox Competition in Numerical Analysis 1988
- Honorable Mention, ORSA Transportation Science Section Dissertation Prize 1983
- Second Prize, ORSA George E. Nicholson Student Paper Competition 1983
- P.T. Harker, Lectures on the Computation of Equilibria (Center for Operations Research and Econometrics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 1993).
- P.T. Harker, ed., The Service Quality and Productivity Challenge(Kluwer Academic, Norwell, MA, 1995).
- P.T. Harker, ed., Special issue of Interfaces on "Service-Sector Productivity-The MS/OR Challenge", V. 25, No. 3 (May-June 1995).
- Bank Administration Institute, Managing Technology Investment Decisions (Chicago, IL: BAI, 1999).
- P.T. Harker and S.A. Zenios (eds.), Performance of Financial Institutions, (Cambridge University Press, London, 2000).
- P.T. Harker and S.A. Zenios (eds.), Special issue of Management Science on "Performance of Financial Institutions", V. 45, No 9 (September 1999).
- P.T. Harker, "The service quality and productivity challenge," in P.T. Harker (ed.), Service Quality and Productivity Challenge (Kluwer Academic, Norwell, MA, 1995), 1-10.
- P.T. Harker and L.W. Hunter, "Engineering products for customer value," in J.W. Cortuda and J.A. Woods (eds.), The Quality Yearbook 1996 (New York, McGraw-Hill, 1996); reprinted from Bank Management March/April 1995.
- F.X. Frei, P.T. Harker and L.W. Hunter, "Retail banking," in D.C. Mowrey (ed.), U.S. Industry in 2000: Studies in Competitive Performance (Washington, DC, National Academy Press, 1999), 179-214.
- Lorin M. Hitt, Frances X. Frei and Patrick T. Harker, "How Financial Firms Decide on Technology", in R.E. Litan and A.M. Santomero (eds.), Wharton-Brookings Papers on Financial Services 1999 (Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, 1999), 93-146.
- F. Frei and P.T. Harker, "Value creation and process management: evidence from retail banking," in E.L. Melnick, P.R. Nayyar, M.L. Pinedo , and S. Seshadri (eds.), Creating Value in Financial Services: Strategies, Operations, and Technologies (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 1999), 447-460.
- P.T. Harker and S.A. Zenios, "What drives the performance of financial institutions?" in P.T. Harker and S.A. Zenios (eds.), Performance of Financial Institutions, (Cambridge University Press, London, 2000), 3-31.
- F.X. Frei, P.T. Harker, and L.W. Hunter, "Inside the black box: what makes a bank efficient?" in P.T. Harker and S.A. Zenios (eds.), Performance of Financial Institutions, (Cambridge University Press, London, 2000), 259-311.
- A. De Meyer, P.T. Harker, and G. Hawawini. "The globalization of business education," in H. Gatignon and J.R. Kimberly (eds.), The INSEAD-Wharton Alliance on Globalizing: Strategies for Building Successful Global Businesses (Cambridge University Press, London, 2004), 104-127.
- P.T. Harker, "Cheating: The New Epidemic," Global Agenda: The Magazine of the World Economic Forum (2005).
- P.T. Harker, "Recalling Joseph Wharton's Vision for Business Schools," AACSB International eNewsletter Volume 5, Issue 3 (2006).
- P.T. Harker, "Dean's Column: Patrick Harker of Wharton on Jon Huntsman," Finaancial Times, May 14, 2007.
- O.Z. Aksin and P.T. Harker, "NationsBank reinvents the phone channel (A): the design decision," INSEAD, 1998.
- O.Z. Aksin and P.T. Harker, "NationsBank reinvents the phone channel (B): the implementation," INSEAD, 1998.
- F. Frei and P.T. Harker, "Projections onto efficient frontiers: theoretical and computational extensions to DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis 11 (1999), 275-300.
- Frances Frei and Patrick T. Harker, "Measuring aggregate process performance using AHP," European Journal of Operational Research 116 (1999), 436-442.
- J.C. Tan and Patrick T. Harker, "Designing workflow coordination: centralized versus market-based mechanisms", Information Systems Research 10 (1999), 328-342.
- Bintong Chen, Patrick T. Harker and M.C. Pinar, "Continuation method for nonlinear complementarity problems via normal maps," European Journal of Operational Research 116 (1999). 591-606.
- Z. Aksin and Patrick T. Harker, "Computing Performance Measures in a Multi-Class Multi-Resource Processor-Shared Loss System", European Journal of Operational Research 123 (2000), 61-72.
- Frances X. Frei and Patrick T. Harker, "Measuring the Efficiency of Service Delivery Processes: An Application to Retail Banking", Journal of Services Research 1 (1999), 300-312.
- O. Zeynep Aksin and Patrick T. Harker, "To Sell or Not To Sell: Determining the Tradeoffs between Service and Sales in Retail Banking Phone Centers", Journal of Services Research 2 (1999), 19-33.
- O.Z. Aksin and P.T. Harker, "Analysis of a processor shared loss system", Management Science 47 (2001), 324-336.
- M. Xue and P.T. Harker, "Note: Ranking DMUs with infeasible super-efficiency DEA models," Management Science 48 (2002), 705-710.
- M. Xue and P.T. Harker, "Customer efficiency: concept and its impact on e-business management," Journal of Service Research 4 (2002), 253-267.
- G.P. Cachon and P.T. Harker, "Competition and outsourcing with scale economies," Management Science 48 (2002), 1314-1333.
- O.Z. Aksin and P.T. Harker, "Capacity sizing in the presence of a common shared resource: dimensioning an inbound call center", European Journal of Operational Research 147 (2003), 464-483.
- S. Mallik and P.T. Harker, "Coordinating supply chains with competition: capacity allocation in semiconductor manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research 159 (2004), 330-347.
- Mei Xue, Patrick T. Harker, and Gregory R. Heim, "Consumer and co-producer roles in e-service: analyzing efficiency and effectiveness of e-service designs," International Journal of Electronic Business 3 (2005), 174-197.