- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Dr. Robert Kent
Associate Professor of Marketing
Department of Business Administration
E-mail: kentrudel [dot] edu
- Ph.D. - University of Cincinnati, Marketing, 1990
- MBA - University of Toledo, Finance, 1987
- BS - Ohio State University, Marketing, 1983
Honors and Activities:
- Best Paper Award, American Marketing Association Advertising Special Interest Group, 2000.
- Nominated for University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award, 1996.
- Advertising Educational Foundation Visiting Professor, Foote, Cone and Belding, 1993.
- American Marketing Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 1990.
- Marketing Technology
- Advertising Clutter
- Music in Advertising
- Consumer Behavior
- International Marketing
- Introduction to Marketing
- Marketing Strategy
- Published research cited over 1,000 times as of January 2012 per Google Scholar
- Kent, Robert J. and Srini Srinivasan (in press), "Exploring the Effects of Pod Position, Pod Length, and Pod Timing on Television Ad Exposure," Journal of Advertising Research.
- Kent, Robert J. (in press), "Switching Before the Pitch: Exploring Television Channel Changing Before the Ads Even Start," Journal of Marketing Communications.
- Kent, Robert J. and David A. Schweidel (2011), "The Ad ECG: How the Set-Top Box Tracks the Lifeline of Television," Journal of Advertising Research, 51 (December) 11-17.
- Schweidel, David A. and Robert J. Kent, (2010), "Predictors of the Gap Between Program and Commercial Audiences: An Investigation using Live Tuning Data." Journal of Marketing, 74 (3), 18-33.
- Eisenberger, Robert, Ivan L. Sucharski, Steven Yalowitz, Robert J. Kent, Ross J. Loomis, Jason R. Jones, Sarah Paylor, Justin Aselage, Meta Steiger Mueller, and John P. McLaughlin (2010), "The Motive for Sensory Pleasure: Enjoyment of Nature and Its Representation in Painting, Music, and Literature," Journal of Personality, 78 (2), 599-638.
- Kent, Robert J. and Patrick D. Lynch, and Srini Srinivasan (2005), "Going Mobile: Marketing and Advertising on Wireless Networks Around the World," in Haugtvedt, Machleit, and Yalch, eds., Online Consumer Psychology, Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, 195-204.
- Lynch, Patrick D., Paul F. Nunes, and Robert J. Kent (2004), "Advice through Mice: Individual and Advisor-System Differences in Online Recommendations," International Journal of Web Engineering and Technology, 1 (2), 182-201.
- Kent, Robert J. (2002), "Second-By-Second Looks at the Television Commercial Audience," Journal of Advertising Research, 42 (January-February), 71-78.
- Kent, Robert J. (2002), "The Effects of Media-Source Cues in Ad Recall Tests," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 24 (Spring), 1-9.
- Lynch, Patrick D., Robert J. Kent, and Srini Srinivasan (2001), "The Global Internet Shopper: Evidence from Shopping Tasks in Twelve Countries," Journal of Advertising Research, 41 (May-June), 15-23.
- Kent, Robert J. and James J. Kellaris (2001), "Competitive Interference Effects in Memory for Advertising: Are Familiar Brands Exempt?" Journal of Marketing Communications, 7 (3), 159-169.
- Wansink, Brian, Robert J. Kent, and Stephen J. Hoch (1998), "An Anchoring and Adjustment Model of Purchase Quantity Decisions," Journal of Marketing Research, 35 (February), 71-81.
- Wansink, Brian, Robert J. Kent, and Stephen J. Hoch (1997), “Point-of-Purchase Promotions that Sell More Units," Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series, Report Number 97-120.
- Kent, Robert J. (1997), "How Ad Claim Similarity and Target Brand Familiarity Moderate Competitive Interference Effects in Memory for Advertising," Journal of Marketing Communications, 3 (4), 231-242.
- Kent, Robert J. (1995), "Competitive Clutter in Network Television Advertising: Current Levels and Advertiser Responses," Journal of Advertising Research, 35 (January-February), 49-57.
- Kent, Robert J. and Chris T. Allen (1994), "Competitive Interference Effects in Consumer Memory for Advertising: The Role of Brand Familiarity," Journal of Marketing, 58 (July), 97-105.
- Kellaris, James J. and Robert J. Kent (1993), "An Exploratory Investigation of Responses Elicited by Music Varying in Tempo, Tonality, and Texture," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2 (4), 381-401.
- Kent, Robert J. and Chris T. Allen (1993), "Does Competitive Clutter in Television Advertising 'Interfere' with the Recall and Recognition of Brand Names and Ad Claims?," Marketing Letters: A Journal of Research in Marketing, 4 (April), 175-184.
- Kent, Robert J. (1993), "Competitive versus Noncompetitive Clutter in Television Advertising," Journal of Advertising Research, 33 (March-April), 40-46.
- Kellaris, James J. and Robert J. Kent (1992), "The Influence of Music on Consumers' Temporal Perceptions: Does Time Fly When You're Having Fun?," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 1 (4), 365-376.
- Kent, Robert J. and Karen A. Machleit (1992), "The Effects of Postexposure Test Expectation in Advertising Experiments Utilizing Recall and Recognition Measures," Marketing Letters: A Journal of Research in Marketing, 3 (January), 17-26.
- Kent, Robert J. and Karen A. Machleit (1990), "The Differential Effects of Within-Brand and Between-Brand Processing on the Recall and Recognition of Television Advertisements," Journal of Advertising, 19 (2), 10-20.