- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Associate Professor of Accounting
Education and Certificates:
- Ph.D., Accounting, University of North Texas
- M.S., Audit and Financial Accounting, University of North Texas,
- B.S., Accounting, George Mason University, VA
- Certified Public Accountant (MD)
Honors and activities:
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award, University of Delaware Department of Accounting & MIS, 2010
- General University Research Grant, University of Delaware, Summer 2010
- 2009 Outstanding Research Paper Award by the American Accounting Association’s Government and Nonprofit Section
- Ernst and Young Distinguished Professor, University of Baltimore, 2006-2009
- Baltimore Renaissance Scholars Seed Fund, University of Baltimore, Summer 2008
- Board of Editorial Review of the Journal of Accountancy – Special recognition for “To Compete or Noncompete” article in February 2004 issue
- AICPA Elijah Watt Sells Award and Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants' Gold Medal Award for grades received on the May 1989 Uniform CPA Examination
- Financial accounting and auditing
- Accounting and auditing issues in the governmental and nonprofit sectors
- Vermeer, T., Patton, T., and Styles, A. “Reporting of General Infrastructure Assets under GASB Statement No. 34.” Accounting Horizons forthcoming.
- Vermeer, T., Styles, A., Patton, T., (2010) “Are Local Governments Adopting Optimistic Actuarial Methods and Assumptions for Defined Benefit Pension Plans?” Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management 22(3): 511-542.
- Vermeer, T. Raghunandan, K., and Forgione, D. (2009) “Audit Fees at U.S. Non-Profit Organizations.” Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory 28(2): 289-303.
- Vermeer, T., Raghunandan, K., and Forgione, D. (2009) “Auditor Attestation of Management’s Evaluation of Internal Control: Evidence from the Non-Profit Sector.” Research in Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting. 12: 99-119.
- Vermeer, T., Raghunandan, K., and Forgione, D. (2009) “The Diligence of Audit Committees in the Healthcare Sector.” Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management 21(1): 1-16.
- Williams, J., Korb, P., Sigler, J., and Vermeer, T. (2009) “How Deductions, Credits, and Other Benefits Impact the Actual Marginal Rate.” The CPA Journal 129(6): 44-46.
- Vermeer, T., Rama, D., and Raghunandan, K. (2008) “Partner Familiarity and Audit Fees: Evidence from Former Andersen Clients.” Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 27(2): 217-229.
- Vermeer, T. (2008) “Market for Former Andersen Clients: Evidence from Government and Non-Profit Sectors.” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 27(5): 394-408.
- Lynn, S. and Vermeer, T. (2008) “A New Approach to Improving and Evaluating Student Workplace Writing Skills.” Advances in Accounting Education: Teaching and Curriculum Innovations 9: 115-150.
- Vermeer, T. and Maguire, H. (2006) “Employee Purchasing Cards: Use, Control, and Detection of Fraud.” Journal of Forensic Accounting 7(2): 513-532.
- Vermeer, T., Raghunandan, K., and Forgione, D. (2006) “The Composition of Non-Profit Audit Committees.” Accounting Horizons 20(1): 75-90.
- Vermeer, T, Korb, P., and Sigler, J. (2006) “The Impact of the Reduced Tax Rates on Capital Gains and Qualified Dividends on the Maximum Allowable Foreign Tax Credit.” The Tax Adviser 37(7): 414-419.
- Vermeer, T. (2006) “Do CEO/CFO Certifications Provide a Signal of Credible Financial Reporting?” Research in Accounting Regulation. 18: 163-175.
- Forgione, D., Vermeer, T., Surysekar, K., Wrieden, J., and Plante, C. (2005) “DRGs, Costs and Quality of Care: An Agency Theory Perspective.” Financial Accountability & Management, 21(3): 291-308.
- Vermeer, T. (2005) “Andersen’s Tolerance Toward Aggressive Financial Reporting: Are They Different?” The Journal of Applied Business Research. 21(3): 27-36.
- Kocakulah, M., Putnam, T., and Vermeer, T. (2004) “Evaluation of New Technologies by Hospitals and Other Healthcare Providers: Issues to Consider.” Research in Healthcare Financial Management, 9(1): 49-56.
- Forgione, D., Vermeer, T., Surysekar, K., Wrieden, J., and Plante, C. (2004) “The Impact of DRG-Based Payment Systems on Quality on Health Care in OECD Countries.” Journal of Health Care Finance, 31(1): 41-54.
- Korb, P., Sigler, J., and Vermeer, T. (2004) “Dividend Tax Rate Cuts Benefit Closely Held Corporations.” The CPA Journal, 124(10): 40-41.
- Vermeer, T. and Johnson, V. (2004) “To Compete or Noncompete.” Journal of Accountancy 197(2): 56-61. Loftus, J. T. and Vermeer, T. (2003) “Technology, Fraud Auditing, and Liquor.” Journal of Forensic Accounting 4(2): 127-129.
- Forgione, D. and Vermeer, T. (2003) “Healthcare in Crisis: The Impact of DRG-Based Transfer Price Controls in OECD Countries.” Public Fund Digest 3(2): 80-88.
- Vermeer, T. (2003) “The Impact of SAS No. 82 on Auditor’s Tolerance of Earnings Management.” Journal of Forensic Accounting 4(1): 21-34.
- Vermeer, T. (2003) “Non-Competition Agreements and Public Accounting Firms: Issues to Consider Before and After Signing on the Dotted Line.” National Public Accountant (June): 39-41.