- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Dr.Wendy K. Smith
Assistant Professor of Management
- Ph.D. Organizational Behavior; Harvard University/Harvard Business School, 2006
- MA Psychology; Harvard University, 2004
- BA Psychology & Political Science; Yale University, 1996
- Strategic Paradoxes
- Exploring and Exploiting
- Social Enterprises
- Strategic Leadership, Top Management Teams
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- Teams and Decision Making
- Social Responsibility
Research Awards and Grants:
- Best Paper – AOM, MED Division, Best Paper in Graduate Management Education, 2010
- Best Paper - European Group for Organization Science Conference, 2008.
- Center for International Studies Research Grant, University of Delaware, 2009-2010
- Center for Integrative Leadership Research Grant, University of Minnesota, 2009-2010
- Institute for Social Science Research Grant, Cornell University, 2009-2010
- General University Research Grant, University of Delaware Summer 2008
- Best Reviewer Award. OMT Division, AOM, 2007
- Best Paper Proceedings. Academy of Management, August 2006
- Best MBA Professor Nomination. University of Delaware, MBA. 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Best Professor Nomination. University of Delaware, University Award. 2007, 2008
- Bok Center Award for Teaching Fellow Excellence. Harvard University. 2005.
- Tushman, M., Smith, W., & Binns, A. 2011. The Ambidextrous CEO. Harvard Business Review, 89(6): 1700-1706.
- Smith, W. K. and M. W. Lewis. 2011. Toward a Theory of Paradox: A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Organizing. Academy of Management Review 36(2): 381-403.
- Dobrow, S., Smith, W., & Posner, M. (2011) Managing the Grading Paradox: Leveraging the Power of Choice in the Classroom. Academy of Management Learning & Education. Published on line in advance of the journal publication.
- Smith, W. K., Lewis, M. W., & Tushman, M. 2011. Organizational Sustainability: Organization Design and Senior Leadership to Enable Strategic Paradox. In K. Cameron & G. Spreitzer (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship.
- Smith, W. K., Binns, A., & Tushman, M. 2010 "Complex Business Models: Managing Strategic Paradox Simultaneously" Long Range Planning, 43: 448-461.
- Tushman, M., Smith, W. K., Wood, R., Westerman, G., & O'Reilly, C. 2010. Organizational Design and Innovation Streams. Industrial and Corporate Change, 19(5): 1331-1366.
- Smith, W. K. 2009. A Dynamic Approach to Managing Contradictions, Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 2: 338-343
- Smith, W. K., and M. Tushman. 2005. "Senior Teams and Managing Contradictions: On the Team Dynamics of Managing Exploitation and Exploration" Organization Science 16(5).
- Tushman, M., and W. K. Smith. 2002. "Organizational Technology". J. Baum (Ed.), Companion to Organizations. Malden MA, Blackwell. 386-414.
- Gatignon, H., M. Tushman, W. Smith, and P. Anderson. 2002. "A Structural Approach to Assessing Innovation: Construct Development of Innovation Locus, Type, and Characteristics" Management Science, 48(9) 1103-1122.