Professor of Economics
209 Alfred Lerner Hall
Newark, DE 19716
O'Neill founded the Center for Economic Education and Entrepreneurship (CEEE) in 1971 and served as its director until August 2013. He is a recipient of the Freedoms Foundation Leavy Foundation Award for Excellence in Private Enterprise Education and received the LCBE Outstanding Educator Award in 2008. After stepping down from the CEEE this summer, he will continue to teach and will retain his current role as President of the Delaware Council on Economic Education. He has devoted his career to providing educators with high-quality programs and workshops that increase the knowledge and understanding of economics and entrepreneurship in all curricula for grades K-12.
- Ph.D., Ed. Admin., Economic Education, Purdue University,1971
- M.A., Economic Education, Purdue University, 1968
- M.A., Education, Oregon State University, 1965
- Curriculum Vitae
- “The Value of Including Economics and Entrepreneurship in All Curriculums for K-12,” (with A. Hughey), Living Education eMagazine, Vol. 4, 2012.
- "Training Teachers in Economics Within and Outside the United States," Economics & Business Association of the U.K., 1996.
- "A Brief History of the Rationale for Economic Education," (with J. Brenneke), An Economy at Risk: Does Anyone Care?, J. Brenneke (ed.), Georgia State University Business Press, 1992.
Awards & Honors
- President, Delaware Council on Economic Education, 1985-present
- Public Service Fellow, Higher Education, State Development Partnership, 1985-86
- Director, Masters of Arts in Economics and Entrepreneurship, University of Delaware, 1981-present
- Past President, Society of Economic Educators, Delaware Council on Economic Education
- Member: Advisory Board, Center for Entrepreneurial Education; Kauffman Foundation; Steering Committee, State Council Directors; Advisory Committee for Social Studies, State Department of Public Instruction; Mastery Testing Steering Committee, State of Delaware; National Association of Economic Educators; Society of Economic Educators
- Leon and Margaret Slocomb Professional Excellence Award
- Bessie B. Moore Service Award, National Council on Economic Education
- George Washington Honor Medal, Freedoms Foundation
- Leavy Foundation Award for Excellence in Private Enterprise Education, Freedoms Foundation
- Forbes Award for Excellence in Economic Education
- First State Savings Star Award, 2008
- Lerner College of Business and Economics Outstanding Educator Award, 2008
- Honorary Member of the Academic Forum of Varna Free University, 2012
- International Judge, Ecopreneur, Mongolia, 2012
- Economic Education
- Financial Education