|Department:||Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management|
209 Raub Hall, Newark DE 19716
Dr. Joanne Jung-Eun Yoo is an assistant professor in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management at the University of Delaware. Prior to joining UD in 2010, she was an assistant professor at the University Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.
Dr. Yoo has several years of tourism/hospitality industry experience across the globe. She worked for Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) in Thailand as an assistant director of the Strategic Intelligence Center. Previously, she worked as an inflight interpreter for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines in the Netherlands.
Her educational background is also very global.
As a HRIM faculty member, she teaches cross-cultural communication and meeting/convention management courses for undergraduates and data analysis course for graduate students. Her research interests largely focus on tourism/hospitality marketing and convention management, areas in which she has published a number of articles in leading international tourism/hospitality journals including Tourism Management, Journal of Travel Research, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, International Journal of Hospitality Management, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, and Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing.
Dr. Yoo is the Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) designated by the American Hotel and Lodging Association.
- Ph.D. in Hotel and Tourism Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hong Kong
- M.B.A. with Concentration in Tourism Management, Griffith University in Australia
- B.A. in German Literature, Ewha Womans University in South Korea
- Yoo, J., Kim, T., & Lee, G. When customer does not behave like a king, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Accepted.
- Basoglu, A., & Yoo, J. Soon or later?: Effect of time distance on travel decisions, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, Accepted.
- Yoo, J., Zhou, Y., Lu, T., & Kim, T. (2014). The moderating effects of resident characteristics on perceived gaming impacts and gaming industry support: The case of Macao, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 31(2):229–250.
- Zhou, Y., Lu, T., & Yoo, J. (2014). Residents' perceived impacts of gaming development in Macau: Social representation perspectives, Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 19(5): 579-599.
- Kim, T., Yoo, J., Lee, G., & Kim, J. (2012). Emotional intelligence and emotional labor acting strategies among hotel frontline employees, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(7): 1029 – 1046.
- Beldona, S., Lin, K., & Yoo, J. (2012). The roles of personal innovativeness and push vs. pull delivery methods in travel-oriented location-based marketing services, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 3(2): 86 – 95.
- Kim, T., Yoo, J., & Lee, G. (2012). Post-recovery customer relationships and customer partnerships in a restaurant setting, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(3): 381-401.
- Hua, Y. & Yoo. J. (2011). Travel motivations of mainland Chinese travelers to US, Journal of China Tourism Research, 7(4): 355-376.
- Kim, T., Yoo, J., & Lee, G. (2011). The HOINCAP scale: Measuring intellectual capital in the hotel industry, Service Industries Journal, 31(13): 2243-2272.
- Yoo, J., & Zhao, X. (2010). Revisiting determinants of convention participation decision-making, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing. 27(2): 179-192.
- Koh, S., Yoo, J., & Boger, C. (2010). Importance-Performance Analysis with benefit segmentation of spa goers, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 22(5): 718-735.
- Yoo, J., & Chon, K. (2010). Temporal changes in factors affecting convention participation decision, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. 22(1): 103-120.
- Yoo, J., & Chon, K. (2008). Factors affecting convention participation decision-making: Developing a measurement scale, Journal of Travel Research. 47(1): 113-122.
- Koldowski, J., & Yoo, J. (2006). Seven dominant forces affecting Asia Pacific travel and tourism industry, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing. 20(2): 75-78.
- Yoo, J., Shin, S., & Yang, I. (2005). Key attributes of internal service recovery strategies as perceived by frontline food service employees, International Journal of Hospitality Management. 25(3): 496-509.
- Yoo, J., & Weber, K. (2005). Progress in convention tourism research, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 29(2): 194-222.
- Jogaratnam, G., Chon, K., McCleary, K., Mena, M., & Yoo, J. (2005). An analysis of institutional contributors to three major academic journals: 1992-2001, Tourism Management. 26(5): 641-648.
- Jogaratnam, G., McCleary, K., Mena, M., & Yoo, J. (2005). An analysis of hospitality and tourism research: institutional contributions, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 29(3): 356-371.
- Yoo, J., McKercher, B., & Mena, M. (2004). A cross-cultural comparison of trip characteristics: international visitors of Hong Kong from Mainland China and USA, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing. 16(1): 63-75.
- Yoo, J. (2004). Development of convention industry in Korea, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism. 6(4): 81-94.