Associate Professor of Management
307 Alfred Lerner Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Sharon Watson is an Associate Professor in the Management Area of the Business Administration Department at the University of Delaware’s Lerner College of Business and Economics. She earned her Ph.D. in International Business and Strategic Management at the University of South Carolina.
Dr. Watson’s research addresses various aspects of international management. She has published studies on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, the management of foreign subsidiaries, international aspects of top management compensation and the effects of cultural differences on behavior in organizations. Her research has won several awards, such as the Academy of Management Best International Paper Award, the Best Paper Award for the Academy of International Business – Midwest, and two of her articles have won Emerald Publishing’s Highly Commended Article Award. Dr. Watson has published research articles in the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Management International Review, Journal of International Management, Cross-Cultural Management, and others. She has served on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Management and Journal of International Management. She also regularly reviews for a number of management and international business journals.
Dr. Watson has taught several different courses in strategic management and international business in the Lerner College’s undergraduate and MBA programs and regularly teaches in the University of Delaware’s Honors Program. She has published research on teaching in the Journal of Management Education and has presented several times at the University of Delaware’s Faculty Institute. Her teaching also was highlighted at the Lily-East Conference on College and University Teaching. Dr. Watson won the Innovative Teaching Award from UD Online and teaches in the new online MBA program.
- B.A. – Dartmouth College, psychology and art history, 1984
- M.B.A. – University of Buffalo, 1989
- Ph.D. – University of South Carolina, international business and strategic management, 1997
Refereed Journal Publications
(under the names Watson and O’Donnell)
- Watson, S. & Sutton, J. (2012) “An Examination of the Effectiveness of Case Method Teaching Online: Does the Technology Matter?” Journal of Management Education, 36(6): 802-821.
- Kernan, M.C., Watson, S., Chen, F. F. & Kim, T.G. (2011) "How Cultural Values Affect the Impact of Abusive Supervision on Worker Attitudes." Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, 18 (4): 464-484.
- Won Highly Commended Article Award - Emerald Publishing’s Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012.
- Watson, S. & George, A. (2010) “Host Country Effects on the Success of International Private Equity Investments.” Journal of Private Equity, 13 (4): 17-24.
- Kor, Y. Y., Mahoney, J. T. & Watson, S. (2008) “The effects of demand, competitive, and technological uncertainty on board monitoring and institutional ownership of IPO firms.” Journal of Management and Governance, 12 (3): 239-259.
- Watson, S. & Busillo, A. (2007) “The Impact of Managerial Characteristics on the Performance of International Acquisitions” Journal of International Business Research and Practice, 1: 50-59.
- Ferry, D., Watson, S. & Boyles, C. (2007) “East vs. West: An Empirical Study of Cross-Cultural Differences in Time Use.” Journal of International Business Research and Practice, 1: 28-37.
- Watson, S. & Hewett, K. (2006) “A Multi-Theoretical Model of Knowledge Transfer in Organizations: Determinants of Knowledge Contribution and Knowledge Reuse.” Journal of Management Studies, 43 (2): 141-173.
- Subramaniam, M. & Watson, S. (2006) “How Interdependence Affects Subsidiary Performance.” Journal of Business Research, 59 (8): 916-924.
- Watson, S. & Weaver, G. R. (2003) “How Internationalization Affects Corporate Ethics: Formal Structures and Informal Management Behavior.” Journal of International Management, 9: 75-93.
- Hewett, K. & Watson, S. (2001) “The Effect of Market Orientation and Knowledge Use on the Performance of International Teams.” International Quarterly Journal of Marketing, 1 (4): 239-249.
- O’Donnell, S. W. (2000) “Managing Foreign Subsidiaries: Agents of Headquarters or an Interdependent Network?” Strategic Management Journal, 21 (5): 525-548.
- O’Donnell, S. & Jeong, I. (2000) “Marketing Standardization within Global Industries: An Empirical Study of Performance Implications.” International Marketing Review, 17 (1): 19-33.
- Received MCB University Press Literati Club Award for Excellence: 2001 Highly Commended Article Award.
- Reprinted in Czinkota, M. & Rokainen, I. (2002) Best Practices in International Marketing. New York: South-Western College Publishing.
- O’Donnell, S. (1999) “Compensation Design as a Tool for Implementing Foreign Subsidiary Strategy.” Management International Review, 39 (2): 149-165.
- O’Donnell, S. & Blumentritt, T. (1999) “The Contribution of Foreign Subsidiaries to Host Country National Competitiveness.” Journal of International Management, 5 (3): 187-206
- Roth, K. & O’Donnell, S. (1996) “Foreign Subsidiary Compensation Strategy: An Agency Theory Perspective.” Academy of Management Journal, 39 (3): 678-703.
- Abstracted in Harvard Business Review, 1996, Vol. 74 (2): 11-12.
- Reprinted in Paliwoda, S.J. & Ryans, J.K., Jr., eds. (2008) International Marketing: Modern and Classic Papers. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd.
Awards & Honors
- 2014 Academic Partnerships Faculty Research Grant.
- Highly Commended Article Award, 2012. Emerald Publishing’s Literati Club Award for Excellence.
- Best Paper Award, 2010 AIB Midwest Conference.
- Innovative Teaching Award, UD Online, University of Delaware, 2008.
- International Research Award, Center for International Studies, University of Delaware, 2008.
- Nominated for University of Delaware Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Nominated for MBA Teaching Award, Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics, 2007.
- Highly Commended Article Award, 2001. MCB University Press Literati Club Award for Excellence.
- Best International Paper Award, Academy of Management 1998.
University of Delaware
Corporate Strategy (Graduate)
Strategic Management (Undergraduate)
Honors Strategic Management (Undergraduate)
International Business Management (Undergraduate)
Strategic Thinking for the Executive Leader (Graduate)
New Venture Creation: Strategy, Technology & Industry Analysis (Graduate)
University of South Carolina
International Management (Undergraduate)
International Business (Undergraduate)
Teaching Conference Presentations
Watson, S. (2010) Presenter at the Summer Faculty Institute, University of Delaware, 2010.“Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Communication: Effects on Student Satisfaction & Learning”
Watson, S. (2009) Presenter at the Winter Faculty Institute, University of Delaware, January 2009. “Engaging Students in Interactive Group Discussions in an Online Environment.”
Watson, S. & Sutton, J. (2009) Presenter at the Lily-East Conference on College and University Teaching, 2009. Presentation title: “Engaging Students in Group Discussions in an Online Environment.”