Chairperson, Professor of HRIM
|Department:||Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management|
|Campus Address:||Newark, DE 19716|
Dr. Sheryl F. Kline is a Professor and Department Chair in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management in the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics at the University of Delaware (U of De). Prior to joining U of De, Dr. Kline served as Professor, Interim Dean and Associate Dean in the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management at the University of South Carolina (USC) Columbia, SC.
Dr. Kline has held the position of C B Smith Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management and the Director for the Center for the Study of Lodging Operations at Purdue University. She began her university career at Widener University’s School of Hospitality Management. Prior to joining academia, she had a successful career as a manager in the casino hotel and resort industry and has over a decade of hospitality industry experience.
She teaches courses in hotel management at both the graduate and undergraduate level and enjoys mentoring and doing research with masters and doctoral students. She is an active member of the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE) and the American Hotel and Lodging Association and has served as a board member in those organizations. Dr. Kline is a recipient of several awards including the I-CHRIE John Wiley and Sons Award for Innovation in Teaching , and the McCool Breakthrough Award. While at USC she was selected as an Academic Leadership Fellow for the South Eastern Conference.
- Hotel operations
- Meeting planning
- Quality customer service
- Human resources management
- BA Rutgers University
- MSHA University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Ph.D. Temple University
- Torres, E & Kline, S.F. (in Press) From customer satisfaction to customer delight: Creating a new standard of service for the hotel. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Smith, S. L. & Kline, S. F. (2010) Crisis preparedness and meeting planner perceptions. Journal of Convention and Event Tourism 11(1), 62-78.
- Kline, S. F., Adler, H., Ghiselli, R. & Huang, S. (2008) General managers in mid-scale hotels: Are they Plateaued? Florida International University (FIU) Hospitality Review. 26 (1), 21-31.
- Kline, S. F. & Harris, K. (2008) ROI is MIA: Why are hoteliers failing to demand the ROI of training. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.20 (1), 45-59.
- Kline, S. F., & Hsieh, Y. C. (2007). Wage differentials in the lodging industry: A Case study. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism. 6 (1) 69-84.
- Kline, S. F., Frash, R. & Stahura, J. (2004). Empowering individual effort in cooperative learning. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 16 (4), 35-43.
- Kline, S. F., Morrison, A. M. & St. John, A. R. (2004). US bed & breakfast websites: A modified balanced scorecard approach. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 17 (2/3), 253-267.
- Breiter, D., Vannucci, C., Kline, S. F. & Gregory, S. (2004). The attrition condition: What hotel sales people need to know?Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly 45 (2) 158-169.
- Kline, S. F. & Sullivan, W. (2002). Hotel front office simulation. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons.
- Hashimoto, K., Kline, S. F. & Fenich, G. (1997). Casino management: Past present and future. 2nd ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.
Awards & Honors
- Academic Leadership Development Fellow for the South Eastern Conference (SEC), University of South Carolina (2008)
John Wiley and Sons Award for Innovation in Teaching, International Council of Hotel Restaurant, Institutional Education (2007)
Mary L. Mathews Teaching Excellence Award College of Consumer & Family Science (CFS), Purdue University (2007)
C. B. Smith Endowed Professorship of Hotel Management, Purdue University (2001-2007)
- McCool Breakthrough Award for Noteworthy Innovation in Hospitality Education, International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, & Institutional Education (2006)
Arnold I Cohen Faculty Development Endowed Award for Faculty Commitment to Develop Research Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management Purdue University (2005)
- Bruce Lazarus Award for Teaching Excellence Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management Purdue University (2005)
Honors Society Member
Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society
Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society