- About Lerner
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
Dr. Sheryl F. Kline
Dr. Sheryl F. Kline is a Professor and Department Chair in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management in the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics at the University of Delaware (U of De). Prior to joining U of De, Dr. Kline served as Professor, Interim Dean and Associate Dean in the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management at the University of South Carolina (USC) Columbia, SC.
Dr. Kline has held the position of C B Smith Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management and the Director for the Center for the Study of Lodging Operations at Purdue University. She began her university career at Widener University’s School of Hospitality Management. Prior to joining academia, she had a successful career as a manager in the casino hotel and resort industry and has over a decade of hospitality industry experience.
She teaches courses in hotel management at both the graduate and undergraduate level and enjoys mentoring and doing research with masters and doctoral students. She is an active member of the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (I-CHRIE) and the American Hotel and Lodging Association and has served as a board member in those organizations. Dr. Kline is a recipient of several awards including the I-CHRIE John Wiley and Sons Award for Innovation in Teaching , and the McCool Breakthrough Award. While at USC she was selected as an Academic Leadership Fellow for the South Eastern Conference.
- BA Rutgers University
- MSHA University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Ph.D. Temple University
- Hotel operations
- Meeting planning
- Quality customer service
- Human resources management
- Torres, E & Kline, S.F. (in Press) From customer satisfaction to customer delight: Creating a new standard of service for the hotel. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Smith, S. L. & Kline, S. F. (2010) Crisis preparedness and meeting planner perceptions. Journal of Convention and Event Tourism 11(1), 62-78.
- Kline, S. F., Adler, H., Ghiselli, R. & Huang, S. (2008) General managers in mid-scale hotels: Are they Plateaued? Florida International University (FIU) Hospitality Review. 26 (1), 21-31.
- Kline, S. F. & Harris, K. (2008) ROI is MIA: Why are hoteliers failing to demand the ROI of training. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.20 (1), 45-59.
- Kline, S. F., & Hsieh, Y. C. (2007). Wage differentials in the lodging industry: A Case study. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism. 6 (1) 69-84.
- Kline, S. F., Frash, R. & Stahura, J. (2004). Empowering individual effort in cooperative learning. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 16 (4), 35-43.
- Kline, S. F., Morrison, A. M. & St. John, A. R. (2004). US bed & breakfast websites: A modified balanced scorecard approach. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 17 (2/3), 253-267.
- Breiter, D., Vannucci, C., Kline, S. F. & Gregory, S. (2004). The attrition condition: What hotel sales people need to know? Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly 45 (2) 158-169.
- Kline, S. F. & Sullivan, W. (2002). Hotel front office simulation. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons.
- Hashimoto, K., Kline, S. F. & Fenich, G. (1997). Casino management: Past present and future. 2nd ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.