Congratulations and welcome to the University of Delaware’s (UD) Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics!
During New Student Orientation (NSO) you will attend a required group meeting, at which time general information about College programs and policies/procedures are discussed. Individual academic advisement appointments follow the group meeting and allow for personalized attention in putting together your fall semester schedule.
The Registrar’s office will build your fall schedule in the University of Delaware’s Student Information System (UDSIS) following your NSO date. You will be able to access your schedule and make changes to your schedule beginning in August.
The academic advising staff created the check-lists below to prepare you for NSO. It is extremely important that you complete all of the items listed under “Before NSO” prior to attending your NSO date. Failure to complete even one of these items may impact your ability to select fall courses.
Immediately after NSO ends, read and complete the tasks listed below under “After NSO.”
Your responsibility as a student begins now!
- Complete the online Mathematics Placement Assessment, ALEKS (both assessments if you are unhappy with your placement) by June 8. Warning: If you place into MATH 010 Intermediate Algebra, you will not be able to enroll in your required Economics course and you will need to take a winter or summer course to graduate within four years. All students are required to complete the Assessment before attending NSO. Visit your Blue Hen Home portal to access ALEKS. You will not be able to register for appropriate fall courses without your ALEKS score.
- Complete the pre-advising worksheet. You will need to bring this completed worksheet with you on your NSO date. The advising worksheet will be used during your individual advising appointment to assist you and your advisor with fall course selection.
*If you are an Honors student, do not complete this pre-advising worksheet. You will receive a worksheet from the Honors Program in early June to complete and bring with you to your NSO date.
- Explore the Lerner College’s advising website and make a list of any questions you may want to ask an advisor at NSO.
- Read the advisor and advisee roles and responsibilities. You and your advisor will sign a copy of the advisor and advisee roles and responsibilities during your academic advising appointment.
- Setup your personal UD email account. You may access your e-mail from the UD homepage at www.udel.edu or at www.udel.edu/mail.
- Read your UD email regularly. Advisors and faculty members will utilize your UD e-mail account to provide you with important information. Please read your messages at least once each day!
- Log on to your UDSIS account and view your class schedule and advisor assignment located in your student center.
- Submit official Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) scores and official copies of any transcripts of college-level work to the transfer credit center, if you have not done so previously.
- Complete part 1 of alcohol.edu and haven. You will receive an e-mail when you are able to access part 2.
- Read the Common Reader Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management majors and Hospitality Industry Management majors must also read Change is the New Status Quo by Joseph McInerney.
- Visit the Lerner College’s advising website and download a copy of the check-sheet for your major. If you are a Business Undeclared student, download check-sheets for major(s) that interest you. Place these check-sheets in your advising folder that you received during NSO.
- Explore the official undergraduate catalog. Read the academic regulations section of the catalog. From the catalog homepage, click on 2015-2016 undergraduate programs and then academic regulations for undergraduates. Note the excused absence policy and important dates on the academic calendar.
- Pack your advising folder with all of your advising-related materials to bring with you to campus. You are required to bring your advising folder to all academic advising appointments.
Did you miss New Student Orientation? Click here to listen to the college's group meeting.